- Akshardham, a Hindu temple standing tall among 23-acre green manicured grassland. Akshardham you see with many arches are made from Pink Sandstones
- There are various plants and trees that are trimmed to create animals and many iconic things. .
- It will be surprising to know that there are no steel or iron used in the construction of the temple.
- The temple belongs to the Hindu religious sect called Swaminarayan Sampradaya.
- The temple faced a terrorist attack just like the Bombay Taj Hotels in the year 2002
- Thousands of artisans were commissioned to create this intricate carving on the Sandstones and Marble flooring
- The gold-leaf idol of 7 feet tall religious leader Pramukh Swami Maharaj is the center of attraction at the Temple
- Akshardham as a Hindu Temple is the identity of the capital of Gujarat, Gandhinagar.
- The exhibition, gallery show, film docudrama and the fountain becomes the major attraction of every new visitor
- The temple is constructed from 6000 metric tonnes of sandstones
- It is 131 feet wide and 240 feet long and features 97 carved pillars
- There are 17 domes, 8 balconies, 220 stone beams & 264 sculpted figures
- The temple was inaugurated on 30 October 1992.
- An Akshardham bigger than this is in New Delhi
- This temple is the only temple of a religious sect Summer like Iscon.
- Dandi Kutir
Things to do
- Indroda Dinosarus Park, NID (Gandhinagar) Photo Gallery
- Water restaurant, Toran Gujarati Thali
- Soda shop, ice-cream, juices and nashta shops
A must to do: Eat no onion, no garlic Khichdi, Kadhi
Pro tip: Buy ayurvedic items and incense sticks from the store
Conservation: The religious organization and trust takes care
Cover Image Courtesy : Russ Bowling , License